St Paul's Church, Hammersmith
Hammersmith
Grade II* listed St. Paul’s Church now lies in the midst of one of London’s busiest and noisiest traffic areas. Replacing a chapel of ease which dated back to 1630, the present church was built in the late Victorian era by architect John Pollard Seddon in a typically large and imposing Neo-Gothic manner. During the late C20th, St. Paul’s saw a period of gradual decline but since the year 2000, St Paul’s Hammersmith has enjoyed a rapidly growing number of parishioners. Richard Griffiths was appointed inspecting architect for the Church in 2005 and immediately identified the need for the Church to carry out substantial external repair works due to sulphurous pollution. As a full scaffold was required, hoarding advertising took advantage of the strategic location to offset the majority of the £1.3 cost of the works. The project involved substantial external cleaning and repair works including large levels of re-roofing and masonry renewal.
Client:  The Parochial Church Council of St. Paul’s Hammersmith
Contract Value: £1.3m
Awards:  The Hammersmith Society Conservation Award 2010